Fabasoft Private Cloud 2017 Fall Release
Find out more about new features and improvements in the Fabasoft Private Cloud 2017 Fall Release.
Digital Asset Management
The digital asset management offers further possibilities, especially in the management of images.
DAM Configuration und Shelves
In asset shelves, you can organize and manage your digital content in a structured manner. You can use the corresponding configuration to pre-define download formats.
When you download the content, you have the option to select the desired download format. The content will be converted according to your specifications before downloading.
In addition, you can create your own thesauri and tag your assets accordingly.
In addition to the established list views, the “Thumbnails” view is now available. This view is particularly useful for displaying images. You can vary the size by using a slider and you can specify whether the name of the images should be displayed.
In full-screen mode, the entire web browser window is available to display the image. To do so, navigate in an image and click the “Show Full Screen” button. With a slider you can zoom into the image or you can also adjust the image to the window size.
Edit Common Properties
If you select multiple objects and execute the “Edit Properties” context menu command, you can change the common properties of the objects at once. This has only been possible until now for scalar properties (e.g. strings). Now you can also change object lists, aggregate lists and aggregates (with scalar values).
- If the content of the object list is the same in all objects, the content is displayed when it is commonly edited. Otherwise, an empty object list is displayed.
- If the content of the object list is the same in all objects, the old object list is overwritten by the new object list. Otherwise, you can decide whether the new objects are added to the object list, or whether the old object list is overwritten by the new object list.
- If the content of the aggregate list is the same in all objects, the content is displayed when it is commonly edited. Otherwise, an empty aggregate list is displayed.
- If the content of the aggregate list is the same in all objects, the old aggregate list is overwritten by the new aggregate list. Otherwise, you can decide whether the new aggregate rows are added to the aggregate list, or whether the old aggregate list is overwritten by the new aggregate list. If a key will be violated in the case of adding rows, the corresponding row is ignored.
- If the corresponding aggregate value is the same in all objects, the value is displayed when it is commonly edited. Otherwise, an empty value is displayed.
Organizational Structure and Workflow
The organizational structure is used for the hierarchical mapping of organizational units and positions of your organization. Therefore the organizational structure also forms the basis for the business processes of an organization.
As owner, co-owner, administrator or entitled user you can find the organizational structure in the organization under “Membership” > “Organizational Structure”.
- Organizational Unit
An organizational unit summarizes one or more positions and can contain subordinate organizational units. The hierarchy of organizational units is defined on the one hand by the tree structure of the organizational structure and on the other hand by the assigned hierarchy levels (e.g. business unit, division, team).
Organizational units can be used for granting rights in Teamrooms or also for the definition of process participants in the workflow.
Positions are assigned to organizational units and are used to define the jobs in your organization. A concrete contact can be assigned to a position.
There are two types of positions: “Head” and “Staff Member”. For determining process participants in the workflow, the position marked as “primary” is considered.
Organization administrators or users who are entitled via the “Manage Organizational Structure” policy are responsible for maintaining the organizational units and positions (for example, assigning a contact to a position).
Note: The “Organizational Units” used for informal structuring are still available under the name “Team”.
Utilizing the Organizational Structure for Determining the Process Participants
You can use the organizational structure in the workflow to determine the process participants. Thus, for example, workflows for material requisitions or leave requests can be easily implemented. The supervisor of the applicant can only be determined if the organizational structure is known. The employees of the purchasing department are also maintained in the organizational structure.
To determine the process participant or process participants, define the following:
- Abstract Participant
Select “Role by Property of the Object”.
Select a property that contains a contact or organizational unit. If the property contains a list of contacts or organizational units, the activity must be defined as multi-instance.
- If it is a contact, the primary position is determined and thus the assigned organizational unit.
- If it is an organizational unit, this organizational unit is used.
Select the position type (staff member or head) that must be assigned to the primary position of the process participant to be determined.
- Organizational Unit Type
Optionally, select a level that must be assigned to the organizational unit of the process participant to be determined. If the organizational unit determined by the property does not have the required level, the organizational unit with the necessary level is determined via the organizational unit hierarchy.
The identified process participants receive the defined activity in the worklist.
Activities and Worklist
The process participants can process the assigned activities in the worklist. The Android or iOS app “Fabasoft Cloud Worklist” is available for mobile use of the workflow. In particular, the new PDF overviews, which have been optimized for the form factor of mobile devices, enable simple and efficient work on the move.
The custom forms have been enhanced with the following functionality:
- For user-defined forms, a “Room With User Data” is additionally available as base class. Thus, the possibilities of a room can be used in conjunction with user-defined forms.
- It is possible to search for values of user-defined properties.
- The multilingual nature of user-defined forms is guaranteed by default.
- When creating user-defined forms, you can drag and drop fields from one tab to another. Alternatively, you can use the context menu command “Move”.
Integration in Microsoft Word
The advanced integration in Microsoft Word gives you the following options.
Note: If necessary, ensure that the COM add-ins “Fabasoft Cloud” and “Fabasoft Cloud Word Extension” are active in Microsoft Word (“File” tab > “Options” > “Add-ins”).
You can perform actions in the Fabasoft Private Cloud directly from Microsoft Word. The “Fabasoft Cloud” tab In Microsoft Word offers the corresponding actions depending on the context.
You can select the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud and open it in Microsoft Word.
If the current document was not opened via the Fabasoft Private Cloud, it can be uploaded to the Fabasoft Private Cloud. You can select a location in the Fabasoft Private Cloud and continue processing directly without having to close the document.
Note: The button is only available when the document has been opened via a file. Unsaved changes are stored in the Fabasoft Private Cloud; the original document is not changed.
- Copy Link
You can put a link to the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud in the clipboard.
- Create Public Link
You can create a public link to the document. Users can access public links without logging in to the Fabasoft Private Cloud.
- Send Link
You can create an e-mail draft with a link to the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud.
You can change the name of the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud.
- Release Version
You can create a version of the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud and provide it as a release.
Note: Unsaved changes are saved automatically before the version is created.
You can edit the properties of the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud.
- Show in Web
Shows the document in the Fabasoft Private Cloud Web Client.
Note: In Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel, the “Open” and “Upload” buttons are available on the Fabasoft Cloud tab.
Forms and Fields
When you add a user-defined form to a Word document, you can insert your defined properties as updatable and modifiable fields (depending on the property type) in the Word document. The “Fabasoft Cloud” section is available in Microsoft Word on the “Insert” tab. The properties can be inserted via the menu item “Field” > “...” > property name.
The following property types can be edited in the Word document:
- String (also multi-line)
- Date and time
The other property types are displayed as read-only fields.
- When saving the content, the fields in the PDF view are updated automatically, regardless of whether the PDF view is generated on the server or on the client.
- On the “Content” tab, in the Update PDF Content on Metadata Change field you can define whether the PDF view is newly generated on the server when the metadata of the object gets changed. This way, fields that refer to the metadata of the document are displayed with current values.
You have the option that the PDF view of Word documents is generated locally using Microsoft Word. This has the advantage that the mapping between the Word document and the PDF document is much better than converting the PDF document with LibreOffice on the cloud server.
In addition, local generation allows PDF views of documents that are encrypted with Secomo (full end-to-end encryption is ensured). The PDF views are transferred to the server encrypted as the documents themselves, and can only be decrypted by users who are authorized in the encrypted Teamroom.
Whether you want to generate the PDF view on the workstation or on the cloud server can be defined in the options of the Fabasoft Cloud Client. To do so, open the context menu of the Fabasoft Cloud Client notification symbol and click “Options”. On the “Content” tab, you can set the following:
- Generate PDF Preview on the Workstation
- Generate PDF Preview on the Workstation
- Generate Thumbnails on the Workstation
Note: This functionality is currently deactivated.
Fabasoft Cloud Client on Ubuntu
The Fabasoft Cloud Client is now also available on Ubuntu. Like on other operating systems you can now conveniently make settings via the notification symbol and display the recently used documents. In addition you can use the encryption with Secomo also on Ubuntu.
The use of the Fabasoft Cloud Client requires Ubuntu 17.04 (x64) with Mozilla Firefox (x64) version 52.0 or higher. Make sure that the prerequisite packages libgnomevfs2-0 and libgnomevfs2-common are installed before installing the Fabasoft Cloud Client.
With the new update the following functionality is available:
- The functionality described in chapter “Digital Asset Management” with respect to “Thumbnails”, “Full-Screen Mode” and “Edit Common Properties” is also available in general and not only in the digital asset context.
- If standard background tasks of a category are already to be executed when the category is assigned, they are executed immediately and not delayed by an automatic task.
- In the case of standard background tasks, you can use the Recalculate the Date When the Base Date Changes field to determine whether the execution time of the background task should be modified when the base date is changed. Background tasks that have not yet been executed are executed at the newly calculated time and background tasks that have already been executed are executed again.
- When defining follow-ups, background tasks or retention periods, you can also select date properties of user-defined forms. The properties offered are filtered according to the context. You can also specify whether the period is subtracted from the base date or added to it (e.g. 3 days before “Valid to”, 2 years after “Created on/at”).
- Downloading large files starts much faster because the consistency of the files is checked during the download and not before the start.
- The “Add Remark” activity is now available. This way remarks with attachments can be added to objects in the workflow.
- For encrypted Teamrooms, the use of the watermark functionality is not useful and therefore deactivated.
The following new features will help you in your daily work.
- The layout of the PDF overviews has been completely revised and now corresponds to the web client property dialog. In the Fabasoft Cloud Apps, the PDF overviews are optimized for the form factor of mobile devices. Of course, the accessibility of PDF documents was taken into account.
- The highlight color of objects is now displayed in all list views. You can set the highlight color using the context menu. If you are dependent on assistive technologies, you can get a textual label by choosing “Basic Settings” > “Accessibility” tab > Show Alternative Text for Highlighted Fields. In the detail view, you can add the “Highlighting Color” column.
- In order to support keyboard users, the focus frame is activated as soon as any navigation button is pressed.
- If you are in the worklist and navigate to the affected objects, the workflow context is preserved even if you use the back button of the web browser. Work items are displayed directly and no longer in a sub-menu.
- In order to make it clear that the owner or co-owner of an organization has all rights to the Teamrooms of the organization, the organization is displayed in the team tool under “Full Control”. When you expand the organization, you see the actual owner and co-owners.
- Remarks can now also be added to objects via the context menu command “Tools” > “Remarks”. Users with an edition that allows only read access can still upload attachments when creating remarks.
- In the detail view up to 50 columns can be added (instead of 25).
- When you execute the “Clipboard” > “Data Table” > “Copy” menu command and some lines are selected only those lines will be copied to the clipboard. The order in which the lines were selected is taken into account.
- The new object class „CAD Drawing“ is provided for following file types: dwg, dwf, dxf, CATDrawing, CATPart, CATProduct.
- The object class “Content (Unknown Type)” has been renamed to “Content”.
- If your credentials have been changed (e.g. password, e-mail address), you will be informed by e-mail for security reasons.
- The table of contents in the PDF view of a Teamroom is displayed up to the twentieth level.
- In the Teamrooms properties, on the “Content Settings” tab, you can specify whether a cover sheet should be generated for PDF views of documents assigned to the Teamroom. You can select which versions or signatures are to be displayed on the cover sheet.
- Folders now also provide the “Tools” > “Add to Teamroom Templates” context menu command.
- For objects, you can specify a validity using the Valid from and Valid to fields (“Versions” tab). If the valid from date is in the future or the valid to date is in the past, the object is marked with a red exclamation mark.
- Objects copied to the clipboard are also taken into account in the “Favorites”.
- If you select multiple objects and execute the “Rename” context menu command, a rename dialog is opened for each selected object. When you click “Cancel”, all changes are discarded.
- If the date for the start or for the completion of a workflow activity has expired, you are notified by e-mail and in the welcome screen.
The following new features will assist you in managing your organization.
Organization Logo and Background Color
In order to strengthen your corporate identity, you can specify the background color for the header (as hexadecimal value, e.g.: #FF0000) in the advanced settings of your organization using the “Define Logo” action. The colors of the elements of the header are automatically adapted to the background color. The background color is also taken into account for the descriptions of Teamrooms and for public links.
If you select the Use Logo and Background Color in E-Mails setting, the logo and the background color are also included in your organization's e-mails sent via the Cloud.
“Open or Download Content on the Workstation” Organization Policy
The “Open or Download Content on the Workstation” organization policy (organization dashboard > “Advanced Settings” > “Define Policies” action > “Content” tab) can be used to determine for whom the open and download actions are available in the web browser client. For example, you can specify that nobody other than your organization members can use these actions.
The following improvements are available when you terminate a membership:
- When terminating a membership, you can decide whether the member should be informed by e-mail (Inform Affected Member field).
- The exclusion from external organizations, organizational units or teams is also taken into account including successor regulations.
- As an owner, co-owner or administrator of an organization, you can view the account activities of organization members and you can also download the data as a CSV file. The “Show Account Activities” context menu command is available for organizations, teams, external organizations, members and external members (if managed by you). The data is exported via the “Export Account Activities as CSV File” button.
- As an owner, co-owner or administrator of an organization, you can use the “Change Membership” context menu command to convert external members to members and vice versa.
When adding new contacts in Teamrooms, the contacts automatically become members when an organization's e-mail domain matches the e-mail domain of the contact.
- To ensure traceability in organizational management, the corresponding changes are logged (for example, member added or organizational role assigned). To view the events, navigate to your organization and click the “Show New Events” action.
Via the time travel you can access the versions, which were created due to the changes.
- Inboxes can be defined as standard Teamrooms, too.
- Ubuntu (x86) is no longer supported, Ubuntu (x64) can be used instead.
- The outdated encryption algorithm 3DES is no longer supported for the transport layer.